THE MAKEUP DILEMMA – HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?
Women & Makeup. This should probably be a title for one of my upcoming books. I’ve spent 35 years empowering women through co-created image with skincare, makeup, and fashion. It’s been a whirlwind of emotions helping each woman on her own personal journey. The question that still resonates after all these years is “How much makeup should a girl wear?” Looking at social media can leave you baffled!
If flip on YouTube makeup posts, you’ll perhaps think that everywoman wakes up to a 45 step regimen that includes contouring, highlighting and a host of tricks that use to be saved for special occasions, weddings, or a hot date. What’s the T? T means truth in drag queen slang, just in case you’ve not seen Rupaul’s Drag Race!
The T is that most women want to spend 5-10 minutes on their faces and look like they’re wearing no makeup. They hate the feel of foundation. They may say they love the color red, but always opt for the naked shades of everything. Now I’m not speaking about beauty bloggers or makeup junkies who love the ritual and also have a shopping addiction. I fall into that category. I’m talking REAL WOMEN. REAL FACES. REAL BEAUTY.
Here’s the truth. You only need a few steps to achieve an enhanced version of yourself. And that’s only if you care about your image. Some women don’t. Makeup is not every girls gig. If beauty is a part of your life, here’s a must have list to start a real regimen:
- Cleanser/Makeup Remover – Clean skin is healthy skin. Cleansers are manufactured by skin type. Oily to very dry. If you wear makeup you NEED a remover before you wash your face. This is an important step in the life of your skin.
- Targeted Serum- Serums are excellent to get rid of any concerns you’re having. Blemishes, dark spots, fine lines. They contain higher percentages of active ingredients to alleviate your concern.
- Moisturize/SPF – Hydration and SPF protection are key to healthy, radiant skin. Even if you have oily skin you need hydration. SPF protection is not negotiable. Protect your face or suffer the consequences later. Add eye cream if you are concerned about dark circles or fine lines around the eyes.
How much makeup? It’s up to you! Here’s what I recommend for a naturally enhanced daytime face.
Choose products that are:
- Fragrance free
- Paraben Free
- Cruelty free
THE 4 MINUTE FACE:
- Primer – Fill in lines, disguise pores, add wear to any makeup. Can be worn without foundation to smooth the look of skin!
- Mousse Foundation – Weightless and concealing at the same time.
- Concealer/Eye & Lip Primer – Only if you have something you really need to hide. Dark under eye circles, blemish, or dark spots. Also if you’re going to wear eye shadow and lip color. Adds long wear with out looking dry. Apply after Mousse Foundation to cover completely.
- Invisible Blotting Powder – Talc free and skin refining that won’t settle into lines or become cakey mess by the end of the day.
- Bronzer – The healthiest skin looks sun kissed.
- Mascara – Duh!
- Lip Balm/Lip Color- Balm for plumping moisture that can be worn alone if you’re not a lip color girl. Add a gorgeous neutral lip color to enhance by day and perhaps a daring color for night? Why not live a little?
Believe it or not, these should take you between 7-10 minutes in the morning including your skincare. This will help you put out the BEST version of yourself out into the world. Like it or not, in this age of social media and selfies, image is not only important, it’s a part of who you are.
As Rupaul says, “We’re all born naked and the rest is drag!”
If beauty is part of your daily gig, check out my products & tutorials on harveyhelmsbeauty.com.
Please check out my new blog every week! I’ll be giving you commentary on all things beauty!